ST URSULAS FEDERATION SCHOOL WINS GIANT BAUBLE COMPETITION
St Ursulas Federation School has taken the Christmas crown in the annual ‘Deck The Mall’ competition at The Liberty Shopping Centre, thanks to one special pupil.
Primary schools from across the Havering Borough were invited to enter and from over 300 entries, Molly Graham, age 9, from St Ursulas Federation School, was selected s the winner and will have her creative bauble design re-sized to giant proportions before being unveiled and hung in the centre during a ceremony on Monday 10th December. Molly’s design was also incorporated into the shopping centre’s Christmas decorations.
The Mayor of Romford and The Liberty Shopping Centre, who judged the competition, were impressed by the fun and colourful bauble design, which incorporated a festive family singing carols together, around a beautifully decorated Christmas tree.
Molly Graham commented: “I’m very happy and pleased to win the competition, the whole class was very impressed with my design on the giant bauble.”
Molly’s Mum, Joann Graham, added: “I’m an extremely proud mother. Molly is a very talented artist and it’s great to see her work on display at The Liberty.”
Alongside the unveiling ceremony, children from the local primary school also joined together to sing Christmas carols, hosting collection buckets to raise vital funds for the centre’s charities of the year, Haven House Children’s Hospice and Cancer Research UK, before visiting the Mayor’s Parlour for Christmas cakes.
Pupils from the other 9 selected finalist schools will also be in centre in the Christmas run up to continue collecting for the shopping centre’s charities of the year.
Jonathan Poole, centre manager at The Liberty, said: “The standard of entries in this year’s Deck The Malls competition was extraordinary.
“The competition marks the start of Christmas here at The Liberty and we congratulate Molly and all of the primary schools that took part, for all of their hard work and creativity.”
‘Deck the Malls’ 2018 Competition Finalists:
- Winner – Molly, age 9 from St Ursula’s Federation School
- 2nd Place – Maia, age 9 from Saint Alban’s Catholic Primary School
- 3rd Place – Isabel, age 10 from St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School
- Abi, age 9 from Hylands Primary School
- Niamh, age 10 from Parklane’s Wykeham Childcare
- Evita, age 9 from Gidea Park Primary School
- Olivia, age 8 from Mawney Foundation School
- Lawson, age 4 from Branfil Primary School
- Sean, age 6 from St Mary’s Catholic Primary School
- Chelsea-May, age 7 from Draper Maylands (YMCA)